Basic French Words
You’ll be well on your way to speaking French if you learn just a few basic French words and phrases. Although you won’t be fluent – if you’re traveling, you’ll find that many people appreciate the effort you make in expressing yourself and it can make getting around just a little bit easier.
5 September 2012
Basic French French for Beginners French Lessons
Basic French Words
Words for Tourists
These basic words might come in handy on your daily interaction with the French people you meet.
- Oui/Non (whee/no) – yes/no
- S’il vous plaît (see voo play) – Please
- Parlez-vous anglais? (parlay vooz ong-glay) – Do you speak English?
- Merci (mair-see) – Thank you
- Voici (vwah-see) – Here is
- Voilà (vwah-la)- There is
- De rien (du-rhee-en) – You’re welcome
- Je ne comprends pas (zhe nhe comp-rehn pah) – I don’t understand
- J’ai besoin d’aide (zhay buh-swahn ded) – I need help
- Excusez-moi (escoosay mwah) – Excuse me
- Je ne sais pas (zhe-nhe say paw) – I don’t know
- Il y a (eel ee aw) – There is
In France, a greeting is simply being polite. Greet shop owners when you walk into their boutiques, and make sure to say something on your way out as well.
- Bonjour (bon zhoor) – Good morning
- Bonsoir ( bon swar) – Good night/evening
- Bon après-midi (bon ah-pray mee-dee) – Good afternoon
- Madame (mah-dahm) – Miss (or Mrs. preceeded by a last name)
- Monsieur (mihn-see-yuh) – Sir
- Comment allez-vous? (co-mo-tah-lay-voo) – How are you?
- Au revoir (o-rhe-vwa) – Good bye
These are not things you would say to someone you don’t know, however these familiar phrases are something you’d use with your buddies or peers.
- Salut (saw-loo) – Hi
- Ça va? (saw-vaw) – How’s it going?
- Ça va bien (saw-vaw-bee-en) – I’m fine
Note: Salut and ça va are often used together as in, “Salut! Ça va?”
While traveling, you may find it very helpful to have a good command of basic question words and phrases.
- Combien? (comb-bee-en) – How much?
- Où? (oo) – Where?
- Quand? (kond) – When?
- Quelle/Quel/Quelles/Quels? (kell) – What?
- Pourquoi? (por-kwah) – Why?
- Comment? (co mo) – How?
Original Content: http://french.lovetoknow.com/Basic_French_Words
Warning: file_get_contents(https://ipinfo.io/188.8.131.52/json): failed to open stream: HTTP request failed! HTTP/1.0 429 Too Many Requests in /home/ofrench/web/ofrench.com/public_html/wp-content/themes/ofrench/framework/controllers/plugins/appointments/appointments.php on line 871